- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
Pinched Nerve Treatment With Your Portland Chiropractor
Your nerves are complex but crucial fibers, running through your whole body and determining every movement you make and sensation you feel. The nerves in your spinal cord are especially sensitive, so when one of these connected fibers is under pressure or force, the results can be downright debilitating. Nerve compression is the medical term for this health problem, but you probably know it as a "pinched nerve". A pinched nerve is actually a very common physical phenomenon, but that doesn't make it any more bearable, especially when it's in the neck or back. Here at Devine Chiropractic, we offer a variety of all-natural chiropractic treatments for pinched nerves.
Symptoms of a Pinched Nerve
How do you know you have a pinched nerve? While every patient's case is unique, here are some of the most common symptoms of a pinched nerve:
- Muscle weakness
- Numbness or decreased feeling
- "Pins and needles" sensation
- Radiating, sharp pain
- Symptoms that worsen during sleep
What Causes a Pinched Nerve?
The nerves in your spine are vulnerable to a wide variety of injuries, illnesses, and other unexpected trauma. If you have symptoms of a pinched nerve, you may not know the exact source, but our chiropractor will work with you to evaluate your lifestyle and health history. If we can pinpoint the source of your pinched nerve, it's easier to prevent future problems while relieving your current symptoms.
Some of the most common causes of a pinched nerve include:
- Herniated Disc – Damage to a vertebra may erode its outer layer and allow spinal fluid to leak into the spinal canal, causing pain or serious discomfort on nerves in the spinal canal
- Arthritis – Degeneration or trauma may wear down the cartilage in your spinal joints, causing more friction and pressure on nerves nearby
- Heavy Labor – Over time, repetitive lifting and other labor-intensive movements can inflame the back muscles and misalign the spine, causing unnatural pressure on the nerves
- Pregnancy – Both weight gain and water retention increase the risk of pinched nerves, and pregnancy involves both
- Bone Spurs – Small but painful growths on the spine may develop as a result of temporary inflammation, but nerves cannot make room for extra bone matter
Of course, if you haven't experienced any of these, you may still have a pinched nerve. Many repetitive motions and everyday tasks can lead to nerve compression too.
Chiropractic Adjustments For Pinched Nerves In Portland
At Devine Chiropractic, our goal is always to eliminate the source of your symptoms, rather than covering them up temporarily. We use all-natural chiropractic adjustments and other non-invasive techniques to release built-up tension and restore proper alignment of the spine. If you're suffering because a nerve is under pressure, our chiropractor will customize a treatment plan for you. Do you have symptoms of a pinched nerve? Our Portland chiropractic clinic is located on the outskirts of Beaverton, near Raleigh Hills. Call us today to schedule your appointment.